Due to continued growth across our business we have an exciting vacancy for an experienced Health and Safety Manager to join our Group Risk Team. Reporting to the Director of Risk and Audit, the main purpose of this role is to employ your expertise in managing Health and Safety practices across all areas of the Group operation for our Southern Region, working as part of a team.
This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly growing business and play a vital role in managing the effectiveness of our Health and Safety and Food Hygiene governance structure within a business that is increasingly expanding its Food product range, particularly within our Travel sites. The successful candidate will be required to cover a wide geographical area, from the north of London across the South, from the SW to the SE, working as appropriate between our Head Office locations (Swindon and London) and visiting store and DC sites when required.
In this role, you will be accountable for:
* Dealing with all liaison and correspondence with external monitoring bodies- including EHOs, Fire Officers and Local Authorities in respect of all safety related matters.
* Helping to compile, update and review Company health and safety and hygiene policies and procedures.
* Ensuring the Group remains up to date and compliant with any changes in Health and Safety/ Food Hygiene legislation and best practice.
* Responding to queries or requests for assistance from stores, DCs and other group locations in relation to any health and safety matters.
* Overseeing procedures by which compliance with all safety and hygiene legislation is monitored, principally through the review and oversight of bi-annual HASWA and food safety audits.
* Conducting a small number of unannounced site visits to review health and safety and food hygiene compliance within a sample of stores and at our Distribution Centres, as part of a rolling programme.
* Reviewing and approving all health and safety and food hygiene training materials provided by various parties, including modular courses purchased from Upskill that are provided to staff through our E learning database, and continuing to assess the sufficiency of training materials.
In this role, you will have the following key interfaces:
* Working with appointed bodies to ensure our controls meet legislative and regulatory requirements
* Working in partnership with colleagues in Store Operations, to ensure effective compliance with all necessary regulation and Company procedures.
* Ongoing liaison with the Property Department who are responsible for compliance with all necessary statutory safety and store maintenance requirements.
* Attending quarterly Health and Safety Committees, encompassing union attendance, reviewing the application of company policy and procedure.
To be considered for the role you will ideally be operating within a Local Authority Safety or Enforcement role and be a chartered member of the institute of occupational safety and health (CMIOSH) or hold a similar Health and Safety qualification. You will also have previous experience gained in either the Public Sector or Industry. The ideal candidate will be adept at working to conflicting deadlines, with the ability to plan and prioritise your own workload.
Excellent communications skills and the ability to work cross functionally at all levels are essential for this role, as is the skill to manage safety issues within the Retail environment. You will be confident in your ability to influence and challenge where necessary, whilst building and maintaining effective working relationships.
We will consider those looking for their first move into an Industry role from a Public Sector Health and Safety background, although previous Retail experience will also be beneficial. Flexible working hours for this position will be available for the succesful candidate.
Closing Date for applications is 9th December 2016.