Job Title: Health & Safety Adviser
Salary: £30,776-£36,124 per annum
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Closing Date: 15 November 2017 (midday)
Expected Interview Date: week commencing 27/11/17
Our Client is the lead body for Scotland's historic environment; a charity dedicated to the advancement of heritage, culture, education and environmental protection. They are at the forefront of researching and understanding the historic environment, and addressing the impact of climate change on its future. They investigate and record architectural and archaeological sites and landscapes across Scotland and care for more than 300 properties of national importance. They have a People Strategy which will be an overarching strategy to which ensures they support and develop staff within the organisation.
Key responsibilities, duties and objectives:
- To advise line managers and supervisors in the South and Edinburgh regions on the day-to-day implementation and monitoring of policy, procedures and plans including accident and incident investigation, reporting and analysis.
- To promote awareness of relevant legislation, codes of practice, internal policies and procedures, and good health and safety practice (including active monitoring).
- To carry out monitoring and internal audits to assess levels of compliance with relevant legislation and the various internal policies and procedures across all business areas.
- To provide support to the South and Edinburgh region H&S Committees to ensure active employee engagement, risk management at a local level and effective communication and co-operation between all involved.
- To develop and deliver training, briefings & workshops across all business areas.
- To monitor and review regional health and safety performance on an ongoing basis.
- To advise and assist staff on matters concerning the health, safety and wellbeing of staff or others who could be affected by their activities, including such matters as hazard identification, risk assessment, control measures and procedures.
- To stop activities being carried out where staff or others are being exposed to a significant risk until effective controls are in place.
You will be assessed against these competencies during our selection process.
- Delivering excellent Service - Demonstrating a commitment to quality services
- Teamwork - Contributing to and supporting working together
- Planning and Organising - Putting plans and resources in place to achieve results
- Communication - Communicating appropriately and clearly
- Knowledge & Expertise - Applying and developing knowledge and expertise to achieve results - (See below for specific criteria)
- Influencing and networking - Building relationships and gaining agreement
Knowledge, skills and experience:
You will be required to demonstrate that you meet the requirements and qualifications below as part of the selection process.
- Proven track record in a health and safety advisory role
- Experience of working for a multi-site operation
- Up to date working knowledge of all aspects of health and safety management and risk assessment with particular knowledge in the following areas:
- Construction safety
- Visitor and public safety
- Full driving licence or alternative access to independent means of transport.
- Experience of providing health and safety advice within the constraints of an historic environment
- NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health (or equivalent) - Essential
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (or working towards) - Desirable
What They offer:
They welcome applications from all nationalities, ensuring that they have the right to work in the UK and applying for a job with us could open the door to a unique work environment. It could also give you job satisfaction and excellent development opportunities, plus a competitive salary, 25 days paid holidays (rising to 30 days after 5 years' service).
- flexible working hours (where appropriate)
- special leave
- maternity/paternity leave
- adoption leave
- childcare vouchers
If you are interested in this role please click the APPLY button for the full job description and application pack. The link to apply, and a full job description, will also be sent to your email.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Health and Safety Assistant, Health and Safety, Quality Assurance Coordinator, Quality Advisor, Health and Safety Coordinator, NEBOSH, NEBOSH Officer, Advisor, Health and Safety Advisor, Quality Officer will also be considered for this role.