The HR Operations team provides expert advice and help to mangers on employee relations issues. As an HR Centre of excellence, we are keen to build on and develop our reputation with managers for providing a first class service.
Within this role you will be working on the HR Operations Helpdesk providing employee relations advice and support over the phone and via e-mails to line managers across the partnerships; Constabulary, Fire & Rescue, HCC Departments as well as schools.
As such you'll be capable of taking calls and responding to e-mails, quickly ascertaining the business needs, be able to provide high quality advice and support, professionally coaching and equipping managers to be able to take the appropriate next steps and achieve their business outcomes.
You will be an excellent communicator, able to quickly build rapport with managers and be comfortable with thinking on your feet. You will be solution focused and show attention to detail as well as having an enquiring mind. You will also need to be a team player, committed to working with and supporting colleagues within the wider HR team.
Customer focused and motivated; you will have a pragmatic approach to solving problems and have an understanding of employment law and best practice.
To provide delivery and support of high quality, comprehensive and effective generalist or specialist HR services to customers and HR colleagues within a framework of best practice, using HCC, HC and HF&RS policy and within employment law. Support and lead on implementation of projects and targeted interventions to deliver organisation change
- Ensure all issues are resolved satisfactorily and where necessary bring together cross-functional teams to do this.
- Maintain effective working relationships with managers, staff and HR colleagues to ensure technical and statutory requirements are understood and achieved
- Accountable for responding to enquiries (telephone, face to face and in writing) as the point of contact for all our customers and considering and providing what action(s) to recommend to these customers to enable them to proactively manage their staff with a view to improving and sustaining performance
- Constructively challenge, persuade and influence managers to pursue courses of action in relation to personnel issues which are in accordance with good employment practice, have regard to the needs of the organisation and the employee concerned and which minimise employee relations difficulties and potential ET claims;
- Provide high quality and timely advice on specialist or generalist HR issues enabling managers to make informed decisions, maximise employee performance and/or address recruitment/retention strategies and issues
- Develop thorough understanding of different business areas to effectively deliver practical, timely and high quality solutions
- Contribute to overall policy development, ensuring departmental operational needs are balanced with consistent overall policy and practice
- Provide advice to staff, managers and others on application of policy and practice
- Provide analysis, data reports and project management as required to support organisational performance, change and improved people performance
- Certificate in Personnel Practice or relevant experience
- Substantial experience in a junior or entry level generalist HR or similar role with evidence of sufficient knowledge of the specialist area acquired through project or other work
- A commitment to customer care and continuous improvement
- A good understanding and commitment to aims, plans and HR Strategy
- Understanding of and commitment to Equalities and Diversity
- Able to assimilate, analyse and interpret information quickly
- Self reliant
- Able to make effective business decisions
- Good knowledge and understanding of HR specialist area
- Supervisory skills
- Able to work to tight deadlines and with conflicting priorities
- Consultancy skills - ability to ask questions and establish facts, culture
- Excellent one to one interpersonal skills to establish facts and information
- Good facilitation skills, experienced in delivering quality presentations, and delivering skills based training
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills
- Understanding of systems and data, able to work with technology and analyse management information
- Handling objects up to 5 kg
- Display Screen Equipment user
- Use of own vehicle for work purposes