Our client is recruiting for an HR Advisor in a consultant capacity. The successful applicant will use a combination of desk research and consultation with staff, Trustees of our client as well as staff across Africa, European and North American offices to deliver on the responsibilities listed below.
The successful applicant will display a real passion for the work our client does. They will quickly come to understand them as an organisation, its vision and culture. They will thrive as part of a small, dynamic team, but enjoy working independently.
The consultant is expected to provide their own IT equipment. Our client will provide access to any relevant documents and facilitate relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
HR Advisor Responsibilities:
• Review their organisational structure (organigramme) in the context of the new UK strategy (2020 to end of 2023) and existing income projections for the organisation in 2021 and 2022..
• Develop and update their salary policy including salary scales and grades as well as job titles.
• Design a system for staff professional development, promotion and staff retention.
• Lead the implementation of theirs anti-racism action plan and review their Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) policy more broadly.
• Review and update all UK policies identifying where there are gaps, develop the necessary policies to fill these gaps and train staff in new policies.
• Review their recruitment process and ensure it is in line with an updated EDI policy as above and that it is in line with best practice across the sector and beyond.
• Act as HR focal point for staff, ready to listen to staff and provide advice as needed.
HR Advisor Requirements:
• Extensive professional experience of human resources and experience of working for larger and smaller organisations, ideally in the humanitarian / international development sector
• Knowledge and experience of leading change in an organisation
• Experience of developing and implementing HR policies and strategies
• Experience in providing HR support to staff at different levels
• Experience of working with an organisation’s Board of Trustees
• Experience in organising trainings, assessing staff development and performance and monitoring staff welfare
• A demonstrable commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
• Fluent written and spoken English
• Strong communication and negotiation skills
• Excellent attention to detail and organisation skills
• Strong IT skills, particularly in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues both in the UK and internationally
• A proven ability to support staff
• A proven ability to build, manage and develop relationships with staff at different levels
• Flexible and responsive; able to change direction and reprioritise in response to organisational needs
• Experience in Coaching and mentoring is desirable
About our client:
They’re Africa’s leading health charity. They work with women and girls to secure the right to health and break the cycle of poverty. Headquartered in Nairobi, they are truly an African organisation, partnering with communities across the continent to create lasting change.
Job type: 30 - 40 days over 12 months (on a retainer basis).
Salary: The consultant will be remunerated at her / his standard daily rate. Payment will be made by bank transfer, the frequency of which will be agreed by both parties.
To apply for this role, please submit your CV and a covering letter through the Hireful platform by midnight on the 23rd of November 2020. Your covering letter should be no longer than 2 sides of A4 and should demonstrate how you meet the person specification as well as your reasons for applying.
Interviews will be held the week of the 30th of November 2020.
You may have experience of the following: HR Advisor, HR Consultant, Human Resources, HR Coordinator, Charity, Third Sector, Human Resources Advisor, Human Resources Consultant, Not For Profit, NFP etc.